Planning applications made by your neighbours, or by developers, can affect you greatly.

This may include:

• overlooking
• daylight being compromised
• view being compromised
• trees or gardens being harmed or endangered
• the appearance or character of the street being adversely altered
• traffic or parking issues
• undue noise
• structural disturbance
• obstruction during construction work.

The Planning (Development Control) system is designed to guard against many, but not all, of these matters.

In Hampstead, this is the responsibility of Camden Council, and you have a right to see details of any Planning applications made – anywhere in the Borough – and object to them if you believe they harm your interests or the character of the area.

Camden advertises all applications it receives in the following ways:
• by publishing a weekly list of applications on their planning website:
• by putting notices on lampposts near the application site
• via email, if you are registered for email alerts (using this page). Camden will send you notice of all nearby planning applications.
• on-line via Camden’s planning website.

If you think you would be adversely affected by an application, you should e-mail comments or objections to the Planners at and /or by writing to:-

London Borough of Camden
Development Control Team
Town Hall
Argyle Street
London WC1H 8ND

It is important to quote the application reference number (e.g. 2018/xxxx/P), and if possible the Planning Officer’s name. Both of these will be on the application information. You may also consult and copy objections to your local Councillor. This can be helpful, although there are situations where he or she cannot intervene directly.

Whereas an applicant whose proposals are refused has a right to appeal to the Planning Inspectorate, neighbours and other objectors have no third-party right of appeal. This does not mean that you should be discouraged from giving your views. Decisions can be influenced by local opinion.

If, as members of the Society, you are starting a campaign to stop or amend a planning application please contact us for further information and advice.